Friday, May 7, 2010

Enjoying the Simplicity

Some of our prejudices are hidden and we don't really know them until we are dropped in a situation where these preconceptions are squeezed out in awkward ways. We may not know in what ways we are racist until we encounter those we are racist about and hear their reactions.

But I am not talking about those prejudices. I am talking about those we actually do know. The ones I actually do know. I don't like dancing with people who are 1) really old (retirement and beyond) 2) large girth 3) short 4) and most importantly, has a funky smell. All four attributes can be found in many elderly women, of course. So I don't go to milongas that are overwhelmed with older people, and truth be told, they are never good, in my experience. But that's probably my prejudice speaking.

But I was told that old Porteños are good. Really? Within the first two nights I have learned that being born in this magical city doesn't guarantee in any way that you are even a decent dancer. I am recovering from my shock (and I am a man who is easily shocked however much he has been exposed to the variations of the world) that tango isn't very popular here, not even the music. When I was talking to the Porteños in that Spanglish exchange, my understanding was that unless you're in the mid-forties and up, you don't listen to or even like tango music.

So going back to my prejudices. I took a private lesson, first from an Argentinian teacher (though he was born in Bolivia), with the objective to simply walk better. And again I was reminded that to have a good dance I had to do my part, to walk well, to be solid, to be a man, basically. I can't be pushed over, or give resistance. A woman is sensitive enough to know how trustworthy a man is in terms of balance. (A man too, but in tango the man is often the "tree" that directs the woman to do difficult moves.) That brought us (teacher and me) to the point of earning trust. I've forgotten about this for a while because lately I have been dancing with people I knew in New York and have neglected to explore dances with people I didn't really know or that since they were often beginners I assumed difficulties in the dances were their fault. (Yes, yes, have your diatribes of accusations.) But here I was, learning not only to be more grounded, but relearning that in this partner dance I need to do my part and any problems are at least half my responsibility.

So we come back to the old ladies prejudices. I decided that if I want to be a decent leader, I not only should be able to have good dances with anyone but also need to get to this point by simply doing it. So I decided to face my known prejudices and do my part being grounded, do my part by earning the trust from women I normally don't want to dance with. There was still a hidden hope that Porteñas, even if they fit all those four prejudices listed above, were still better dancers than their counterparts in New Haven!

So after class, and two empanadas (I've been eating too many of these), I found myself in the most beautiful dance hall so far. It's the famous Confiteria Ideal, where they are celebrating their bicentennial this month. The moment I walked in I could feel the old time atmosphere, as if Gardel were sitting somewhere with his guitar ready to start singing with his enchanting, virile voice. I almost could say I fell in love with the atmosphere. I was seated by someone. But it was behind two rows. So I, now that I've learned to assert myself, asked for a table I saw had been empty for two tandas. Though it said "Reservado" the waiter let me have it anyway. Loved this place!

I had my tea with three media lunas while watching the old folks dance. At my private lesson the student who came after me, a friend of mine, said she had gone to Ideal the previous night and said the dance level was horrible. I wasn't discouraged and I came anyway. I could see that it was definitely not the level I'd found in La Viruta or Villa Malcom, but then again, in the latter, populated with chic beautiful young Porteñas who don't want to acknowledge your existence, showing off is often more important than the connection (sounds a bit like certain circles in New York). So I wasn't discouraged at all sitting there watching the smiling old people dance. I was quite amused that I was by far the youngest here, a feeling so precious only five days after my birthday past the mid thirties.

During the two tandas that I was slowly enjoying my media lunas, I could see that someone had been trying to cabaceo me. It was a buxom lady in orange, a big big smile. The beauty of cabaceo is that you can actually see a person without acknowledging her stare. After two media lunas I decided to change shoes (not at the table), and when I came back the lady in orange had just finished a tanda right in front of me and she told me in Spanish that "we should dance". I smiled. Asian people always smile, so don't think it means anything! Anyway, when the next tanda started, I finally accepted her cabaceo. What an honor to be asked by a woman, and a Porteña, as I found out soon.

All the prejudices surfaced, and my body reacted immediately, especially to the funky old people smell and her height and her girth. But I wanted to be a good tanguero, not only in capability of the dance, but equally important, my attitude. The teacher told me only an hour before that one secret to explain why girls around the world want to dance with Porteños is that they feel they are treated right, they could trust them. I decided to earn the trust of this and other women I would dance with this afternoon (it's a "matinee" milonga).

But it helped that she actually was keeping her own balance, that she was really soft but grounded, something I could not say for almost all old people I'd danced with in the US. And her attitude is great. She was smiling and yapping her way in the cutest Argentinian Spanish. And even after we were done, she had tried to cabaceo me again for another dance. I was doubly flattered, but I couldn't do more than one.

I danced with other elderly Porteñas that evening. Keeping the same attitude, same desire for trust, for connection. It helped that they were all at least decent, keeping their own balance, not squeezing me like a pillow. It also helped that I was slowly falling in love with the atmosphere, that I felt relaxed, not like in other places where I felt I was a desperate hunter for the best dancers in this tango mecca. (I am not that bad, really, but I don't want to get worse with this attitude.) While the dances were not the best I've had these four nights, I felt the happiest in this milonga. The simplicity of the place, its setting, its people, brought the greatest happiness. Another lesson in life.

This matinee milonga contrasted with the milonga from the previous night. (It's hard to write a "daily" blog when my schedule is more from one afternoon to another.) It was at Niño Bien, a place famous for high level of dancers from the older, traditional generation. But there were indeed plenty of young people grouped together usually with some old caballero among them. It was not so friendly, and that old feeling from when I started in New York reawaken itself, that hunter feeling, that desperation, that dissatisfaction with dancers. That teacher (OK, his name is Marcelo) told me the following afternoon that he thought foreigners, men, had this weird complaint, that "bad" tangueras had bad embraces, and that they came looking for good embraces. Embarrassingly I told him I felt the same. He smiled and said that here in Buenos Aires men are paying to have any embrace at all, and that when there's a bad embrace it's partly because the man isn't giving her a trusting embrace to start with. So I was slightly complaining at Niño Bien.

I should stop.

Not only in tango, but in life in general, I must choose to have a good time and not depend on someone else to save me, to put it in the most extreme way.

In other news:
  • It's hard to find an ATM and when there is one, there's a freaken long line!
  • These colectivos don't necessarily stop at the stop if it's not convenient for the driver! Especially during rush hour.
  • I started seeing the sadder side of this glorious city. There are lots of people on the street, with nothing to do. I could see that lots of Porteños, like tourists in their own city, wear their bags in the front.
  • I haven't been taking photos these two days because I want to get to know this city first. I am here for four weeks, there's no urgency to take photos of everything I see. I want to get to know the subject first because stealing an image of her. And I hope to do more than just dancing so I can get to know her.

No comments:

Post a Comment